Want to know more about your new hometown of Jacksonville, Florida? All My Sons Moving & Storage and our local Jacksonville movers have some interesting facts about Jacksonville you’ll definitely want to know before moving there.
1. Southern rock band, Lynyrd Skynrd formed its group in Jacksonville in 1964, but under the name The Noble Five.
2. The Creature From the Black Lagoon, a popular 3D horror film, was shot in Jacksonville in 1954.
3. In the early 1900s, Jacksonville was known for being the capital of the film industry; not Hollywood.
4. Moving to Jacksonville means living in a city named after President Andrew Jackson, the seventh president of the United States.
5. Jacksonville is home to the Ritz Theater, which was built in 1929 and hosted iconic musical artists such as Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Cab Calloway and Ray Charles.
6. Jacksonville hosts the largest 15K in the United States, the Gate River Run.
7. Jacksonville is home to “The World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party”, which commences each year for college football rivalry game, University of Florida Gators vs. University of Georgia Bulldogs. This is one of our local Jacksonville movers’ favorite events of the year.
8. Said to be the longest living thing in Jacksonville, Treaty Oak is a Southern live oak tree located in downtown Jacksonville.
9. Since 1871, Jacksonville has only been directly hit by a hurricane one time.
10. Jacksonville is located along the longest river in the state, St. Johns River. If you’ve recently made the move to Jacksonville, you’ll find that the river runs north and south which is rare for the United States.